There is something very satisfying about having a bowl of oats porridge in the morning. Aside from tasting good it is so healthy for you – you only have to Google ‘benefits of oats’ to find pages and pages of reasons to eat oats. My only problem with a bowl of oats porridge is that it seems more suited to a cold, wintry morning. Now that summer is here we need something a bit lighter but just as healthy. A bowl of Bircher Muesli is the answer – just don’t forget to prepare it the night before.
A delicious, healthy breakfast.
- 200g oats
- 200 ml apple juice
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 75 ml plain yoghurt
- 25 ml dried cranberries/raisins
- 200ml milk
- 125g seasonal fresh fruit
- 25g pistachios/almonds
- Honey or Agave Nectar (to taste)
- Place the oats in a bowl and pour the apple juice over to cover and moisten.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and chill overnight, in the fridge.
- Just before serving, core the apple and then coarsely grate.
- Mix the apple into the oats together with the cranberries
- Add the yoghurt and enough milk to get the consistency to like.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with seasonal fruit, nuts and drizzled with honey.