These spiced poached pears are so simple and are packed with flavour. They can be dressed up for a fancy dinner or served simply with a good vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for a mid week treat.
Spiced Poached Pears
A quick and easy low fat dessert using fresh pears.
- 4 ripe but firm pears
- 1 litre water
- 265g sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsps whole cloves
- Half a lemon
- 1 split vanilla pod
- 8 fresh ginger slices
- Thinly peel all the pears, trying to keep as much of the shape as possible.
- Add the water, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves, lemon, vanilla pod and ginger slices to a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the pears to the pan and poach gently for approximately 15 - 20 minutes or until the pears are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and let the pears cool whilst sitting in the liquid.
- Drain the pears and serve with caramel sauce or a good vanilla ice cream.