Today is a bit of a sad day for me – my brother and his family have set off on the final leg of their journey to set up a new life in Adelaide – 10,000 miles away.
In my heart I know than we have many lovely holidays to look forward to both over here and in Australia but that doesn’t help how I feel in the short term.
What’s a girl to do when feeling down – get in the kitchen of course and what better ingredient to cook with than lovely, luscious chocolate.
- 100g butter
- 100g plain chocolate
- 300g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 125g plain flour
- 2 tblsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Butter and line the base of an 18cm square tin with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring well until blended.
- Add the flour and cocoa and beat for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 35 - 40 minutes. The mixture should still be slightly wet when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove and cut into 9 servings.