The latest theme for the Bake Along challenge is Celebration Cupcakes and what better way to celebrate than with these delicious toffee cupcakes.
The girls have been baking together for two years now and I wish them well for the next year and look forward to joining in many more bake along events.
I wanted to make something that was a little bit indulgent as that is what I associate with a celebration. The cupcakes themselves are standard vanilla cupcakes so feel free to use your own tried and tested recipe if you have one. The toffee cream is super indulgent and once you add a bit of caramel sauce over the top you have something worthy of any celebration.
We had nothing in particular to celebrate but it didn’t stop us from enjoying every little morsel of these very delicious toffee cupcakes.
- 225g plain flour
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g sugar
- 2 tblsp water
- 400ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6.
- Arrange 8 – 12 paper cases in baking tin.
- Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Heat the sugar and water in a pan over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. You should not need to stir.
- Continue cooking, and again do not stir, until the sugar turns a golden amber.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour the cream into the pan. It will bubble up but not enough to spill over the edge of the pan.
- Stir until well combined.
- Chill well, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the toffee cream until soft peaks form.
- Arrange the toffee cream over the top of the cupcakes.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and serve.