At last – Spring has arrived
As soon as I heard that this month’s We Should Cocoa challenge involved cooking with coconut I knew I wanted to try out this chocolate coconut mousse. I have come across it many times on the internet but have never got round to trying it out. It didn’t disappoint! It is thick and creamy with just the slightest hint of coconut. It is quick and easy to make. No raw eggs to worry about. Just delicious.
I have added 100g of dark chocolate which gives a very strong chocolate flavour. You may want to start with a bit less and add more to suit your taste. It is also very rich so only a small amount is needed. I love the contrast of hard chocolate with the creamy mousse so I served mine in chocolate cases which I made by coating silicone cupcake cases in melted chocolate. I also made small chocolate cones and filled them with the mousse which I think was just about the right serving size. The mousse does firm up quite a bit if left in the fridge so I think I would only pipe into my serving dishes just before serving. That way you can give it a quick stir to loosen up before piping.
- 250ml coconut cream (chilled)
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- Using a whisk beat the coconut cream and sugar together for a couple of minutes until smooth and thick.
- Melt the chocolate carefully over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave.
- Add the melted chocolate to the coconut cream and continue to whisk for another couple of minutes.
- Spoon or pipe into small serving dishes and refrigerate until ready to serve.
You do need to ensure that your coconut cream is chilled before starting. I store mine in the refrigerator so that it is ready chilled. Coconut milk will not work in this recipe - it needs to be the much thicker coconut cream.
This is another entry for the fabulous We Should Cocoa challenge which is cooking with chocolate and coconut this month. This month’s challenge is being hosted by Laura over at I’d Much Rather Bake Than …
I am also submitting this recipe to A Mummy Too’s Recipe of the Week link up.
And to Dead Easy Desserts over at Maison Cupake