I am very honoured (and proud) to have two guest bloggers today. They are Sean, who is 7 years old and Kirsty who is 5 years old and as you can probably guess they are my children.
It is half term holidays at the moment and the weather has been so bad that the kids have been stuck indoors for the last couple of days. It was while I was cooking lunch that my son asked if he could make dessert and then put it on my blog. At first I said no but then thought why not. It would give them something constructive to do and pass a couple of hours. I often make these pink and white fruit kebabs as they are perfect for after a heavy meal, they’re healthy and look pretty on the plate too. If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making your own strawberry sauce then just use 120g pureed strawberries and mix with 90g of strawberry yoghurt and 2 tblsp of double cream.
Photo – courtesy of Sean Darroch.
- 400g strawberries
- 360g tinned lychees
- Grated zest & juice of 1 small orange
- 3 tblsp sweet white wine (or apple juice)
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ½ cup strawberry sauce
- 2 tblsp double cream
- Place the strawberries and lychees in a large bowl.
- Add the orange juice, zest and wine. Gently toss together.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, strawberry sauce, double cream and 1 tblsp of the fruit marinade until smooth.
- Thread the fruit, alternating strawberries and lychees on to 8 skewers and place on dessert plates.
- Serve with a small bowl of fruit sauce.
While I was getting everything ready, my son came up with the idea of doing a video. I have no idea how to edit videos so this is the original unedited version.
Just a bit of fun on a cold and wet day.
PS Apologies to my kids for cutting their heads off at the end of the video.
I’m off to count how many times my son says ‘pop it’ 🙂
I’m adding this post to A Mummy Too’s Recipe of the Week linky.