Light, feathery scones topped with strawberry jam and clotted cream – a match made in heaven.
Now I’m not usually one to celebrate National food days but I couldn’t let National Cream Tea Day go by without a little mention. A light feathery scone topped with strawberry jam and finished off with a dollop of cool, creamy clotted cream is one of my many guilty pleasures.
This is my treat once a week. A couple of good books from the library, a quiet corner in the local coffee shop and my scone, jam and cream.
Perfect ‘me’ time.
- 450g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 100g butter, room temperature
- 1½ tblsps caster sugar
- 3 tblsps sultanas (optional)
- 250ml milk
- Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F).
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the dry mixture with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and sultanas.
- Add enough milk to the mixture to make a soft dough. Mix very lightly with a palette knife.
- On a floured surface, pat the mixture out to a thickness of 1.5 cm and cut into rounds with a pastry cutter (do not twist the pastry cutter as this will stop the scones from rising).
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 13 - 15 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
I’m adding this post to the following weekly link ups :
and Honest Mum’s Tasty Tuesdays linky