What is it about the colder months that make me want to fill my cupboards, fridge, freezer, pantry, you name it, with food. It’s not as if we are ever likely to be snowed in for any length of time and yet I feel the need to store food.
Who knows, maybe I was a squirrel in my previous life or does everybody do this?
I have been filling my freezer with lots of delicious soups and stews and one of my all time favourites has to be this beef chilli. There is something really comforting about a bowl of hot, spicy chilli on a cold Autumn night. I always make a big batch and freeze into ready meal portions for those lazy days when cooking is just out of the question.
Personally I love to add some spicy sausage meat for extra flavour but of course this is not absolutely necessary.
This is a quick and easy chilli recipe - perfect for family meals or entertaining a crowd.
- 3 tblsps olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 sweet chilli pork sausages
- 1½ kgs minced beef
- 4 tsps. chilli powder
- 3 tsps. cumin powder
- 3 tsps. dried oregano
- 3 tsps. mustard powder
- 800g tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tblsps tomato puree
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsps. salt
- 250ml water
- 125ml red wine
- 800g red kidney beans, drained
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook over a low heat until tender.
- Remove the sausage skins and crumble the meat into the pan. Cook until starting to brown.
- Add minced beef, small portions at a time and continue to cook until meat starts to brown.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
Serve with boiled rice or with Corn Bread on the side. Make a large batch and freeze into ready meal portions.