A family favourite - these Snickerdoodle cookies are soft and cakey in the middle with a spicy sugar coating for added crunch.
- 125g softened butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tblsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt and gently mix together to form a soft dough.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut sized balls then roll in the sugar and cinnamon mixture to coat.
- Place on a baking tray, spaced about 3cm apart.
- Flatten gently with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until they feel firm around the edges.
- Allow to stand for a couple of minutes on the baking tray, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.