One of the things I love about cooking is the presentation of the finished article. I’m quite happy pottering away in the kitchen working on the finishing touches but with two young kids it’s become less and less about good looking food and more about speed and shortcuts. This mushroom & cheese tart looks very rustic but is the perfect quick tart. A couple of minutes to fry some mushrooms and onions, mix up some eggs, cheese and herbs. Unwrap some ready made puff pastry. Throw it all together and into the oven and by the time you’ve cleaned everything up you have a delicious tasting tart. Perfect to take on a picnic, a light lunch with a mixed salad or even as a starter.
- 200g ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 200g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large egg
- 100g Garlic & Herbs cream cheese
- 20g finely grated parmesan cheese
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 50g ricotta cheese
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the mushrooms and onions.
- Stir occasionally until the mushrooms and onions are nicely caramelised. Set to one side.
- Add the egg to a mixing bowl and mix well with a fork. (Keep a tiny bit to one side for glazing the tart).
- Add the cream cheese to the beaten egg and mix well.
- Add the parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pastry sheet (should measure approx. 21cm x 21cm) on a lined baking sheet.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture onto the pastry and spread out evenly - leaving a clean border about 3cm wide all the way round.
- Fold the border up and over the mushroom mixture to create a rim.
- Scatter the crumbled ricotta and thyme leaves over the top.
- Brush the pastry edges with the left over egg.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes until nicely golden brown.
I’m sharing this recipe over on the fabulous Supergolden Bakes Cook, Blog, Share linky
Honest Mum’s Tasty Tuesday linkup
and A Mummy Too’s Recipe of the Week linky
Recipe source : Australian Women’s Weekly