So BritMums Live 2014, the UK’s biggest social media and bloggers conference has come and gone. I originally had no intention of going but I was lucky enough to be one of the 6 finalists in the BiBs awards and decided to treat myself to a couple of days of ‘me’ time in London. Sadly I didn’t go on to win the award but Lucy of Supergolden Bakes was a very well deserved winner. If you haven’t already come across her blog then go and have a look – it’s gorgeous. Thanks again to everybody who took the time to vote more me. It was a very special experience.
The event itself was full of positive energy and was packed with energetic and passionate speakers, leaving me feeling completely reenergised about my blog and about life in general. I love blogging but the one area I find the most difficult is building my social media presence. I am just not comfortable with the whole numbers game and find it hard to chase followers purely for the purpose of stats. It was therefore such a delight to listen to the lovely Jaume Marin from the Costa Brava Tourism talk about building relationships between their brand and travel bloggers. As a brand they believe not in the number of followers that you have but more in how you interact with your followers. This just makes perfect sense to me and I applaud their passion and common sense attitude to working and promoting their brand as well as the bloggers they work with. I left that session wishing I was a travel blogger 🙂
So what did I get out of my two days at BritMums Live apart from loads of good advice and meeting the lovely Lucy and Elizabeth? The answer is simply a renewed confidence in myself and a desire to be more creative with my time. It is not just about being a wife and a good Mum – it is about doing something for yourself, something that you love and that makes you happy.
And on that note I leave you with an all time classic dessert of a simple but delicious Strawberry and Chocolate Meringue. Perfect for summer entertaining.
Strawberry and Chocolate Meringue
- 3 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 150g dark chocolate
- 450ml double cream
- 2 tblsp icing sugar
- 350g fresh strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 140°C (275°F) (Gas Mark 1).
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Draw 3 rectangles, 10 x 25cm on the baking paper. You can just fit two rectangles on the one baking tray.
- Whisk the egg whites until the soft peak stage.
- Add the caster sugar (I add mine all at once) and continue to whisk until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add the vinegar and cornflour and whisk for a couple more minutes. The mixture should be able to hold its shape if the bowl is turned upside down.
- Prepare an icing bag with a large star nozzle and fill with the meringue mixture.
- Using your template, pipe (10cm) lines until you have filled all three rectangles.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour turn the oven off and leave the meringues to cool in the oven.
- When your meringues are cool, melt the chocolate and spread it over 2 of the meringue layers making sure you go right to the edge.
- Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes to harden.
- Assemble just before serving by whipping the double cream with some icing sugar and chopping your strawberries (leave about 8 whole ones for decoration).
- Place one chocolate meringue on your serving dish and spread with one third of the cream and top with half the chopped strawberries.
- Place the second chocolate meringue on top and spread with another third of the cream and the remaining chopped strawberries.
- Place the plain meringue layer on top and spread with the remaining cream.
- Arrange the whole strawberries on top and drizzle over any remaining chocolate.
Hi, I am Jennifer. I love the art of cooking! I studied food science in the University and I am keen to helping ladies make delicious and healthy food. I am a single Mother of two. Enjoy.