These delicious barbeque chicken drumsticks make everyone’s mouth water. The spicy marinade comes with lots of flavours and makes for a small taste explosion in your mouth. The roasting notes of the grill complete the taste of this perfect summer BBQ chicken recipe.
How to buy good chicken
- When buying chicken, make sure the packaging is not damaged and the meat is sealed adequately.
- Make sure your chicken is not put in with any fresh produce when packing your bags at the supermarket – just in case it does leak.
- Keep the chicken as cold as possible on the way home from the supermarket.
- Place it in the fridge as soon as you get home and preferably in the coldest part of the fridge which is the bottom shelf.
- Try to leave the chicken in the original packaging and always place it in a separate container – again just in case, it does leak.
How to hygienically handle chicken when cooking it
- If the chicken is frozen, give yourself ample time to defrost it in the fridge – not on your countertop.
- Before preparing your chicken, fill your sink with hot soapy water. By doing this it means you don’t have to touch your taps to wash your hands.
- Cut your packaging and remove your chicken either into your baking dish or on to your chopping board.
- Throw any packaging straight in the bin.
- Wash any utensils and your hands in the hot soapy water as you go.
- If you test your chicken with a skewer and the chicken is not yet cooked, make sure you wash the skewer before using it again. This applies to a basting brush as well.
Follow the instructions for cooking times given on the packaging. There should be no pink meat visible and all juices should run clear when tested with a skewer or knife.
Barbecued Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Slash the chicken skin 2 - 3 times with a sharp knife.
- Place the chicken in a shallow glass container,
- Mix the vinegar, tomato puree, soy sauce, honey, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic and cayenne pepper together and pour over the chicken.
- Cover with cling wrap and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Cook the drumsticks on a preheated barbecue grill for about 20 - 30 minutes or until all the juices run clear.